A. Criminal History:
1. Conviction of any felony.
2. Conviction of any crime involving moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing).
3. Conviction of a Class 1 or Class 2 misdemeanor of the Code of Virginia or equivalent within the last twelve months. Convictions beyond twelve months will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
4. Conviction of a Class 3 or Class 4 misdemeanor of the Code of Virginia or equivalent within the last twelve months. Convictions beyond twelve months will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
5. Admission of felonious behavior.
6. All prior criminal behavior, whether arrested or not, will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
7. Any conviction taken under advisement will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
B. Traffic Violations:
1. Minus 6 or more points on a Virginia Operators License, or the equivalent for out of state license, at the time of application.
2. Conviction of Driving Under the Influence, Refusal to take Blood or Breath Test, Eluding Police, or Racing.
3. Reckless Driving or any suspension/revocation of driving privileges within the last 5 years for any reason will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
4. Any conviction taken under advisement will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
C. Drug Use:
1. Recent possession of Marijuana.
2. Any possession of Schedule I drugs as defined by the Code of Virginia 54.1-3446 (e.g. LSD, PCP, mescaline, heroin, and cocaine).
3. Any possession of Schedule II, Schedule III, Schedule IV or Schedule V drugs, as defined by the Code of Virginia 54.1-3448, 54.1-3450, 54.1-3452, 54.1-3454, unless prescribed by a licensed physician.
4. Any possession of designer drugs as defined by the Code of Virginia 54.1-3456 (e.g. ecstasy).
5. Any other drug possession will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
6. Selling any illegal drugs.
7. Buying any illegal drugs will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
1. Dishonorable Discharge from any military service.
2. Less than Honorable Discharges will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
3. De-certification of law enforcement or jailor status by the Department of Criminal Justice Services, according to the Code of Virginia 15.2-1707, or similar status in other states.
4. Untruthfulness, falsification, or the intentional withholding of any information on any application, certificate, credential, interview, test or documents associated with the position.
5. Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position.
6. Criminal or ethical behavior unsuitable or inappropriate for a Police Officer as determined by the appointing authority.
7. Failure to submit a thoroughly complete application, composite history, and other required paperwork by the assigned deadline.
8. Failure to comply with deadlines to return requested information to the background investigator.
9. Failure to comply with applicant’s appointment(s) without prior notification to the background investigator.
10. Credit history with a current unsatisfactory rating.
11. Not being a United States citizen.
12. Background investigation indicating less than acceptable job performance with past employers.
13. Incidents of past physical or mental abuse of anyone.
14. Obtaining a score that is below the established standard on any test or evaluation administered during the selection process.
15. No applicant shall be, shall have been or shall become a member of any organization which advocates the forceful overthrow of the United States government or any other organization cited as being subversive or un-American by the United States Attorney General.
16. Must live within a 45 minute drive (legally) from the Pulaski Police Department.
17. No Smoking on or off duty.